I decided to read the article "Outdoors and Out of Reach, Studying the Brain". The reason I decided to read this article is because I saw the word psychology hi lighted in blue and I'm going for a psychology major. As soon as I read the article I was intrigued that these doctors did an experiment of how the brain changes when out doors take over technology. Especially the fact that these doctors experimented on themselves.
Another thing I liked was that I was able to relate to the article because I took a nature trip myself 2 summers ago. I went to Lake Katahdin in upstate Maine by the Canadian border. I stayed in a cabin with no phone, internet, people, or running water. For 4 days we bathed in the lake with natural soap and went kayaking to various islands all day. I loved the idea of getting away with from my household and from the technology. When I came back home, I noticed that I was in a bad mood because I had to deal with my ordinary life and days. In the article, I enjoyed a quote from Mr. Strayer that said, "Our senses change. They kind of recalibrate-you notice sounds, like these crickets chirping; you hear the river, the sounds, the smells, you become more connected to the physical environment, the earth, rather than the artificial environment." I was fascinated by what Mr. Strayer said because I agree. When I was in Maine, I would wake up early and get as much out of my day as I possibly could. My mind was definitely at ease although in the back of my head I thought about Facebook and my job.
-This link is a picture of me on Facebook kayaking. http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=478637039306&set=a.486797554306.276584.656829306&type=1&theater
No comments:
Post a Comment