Wednesday, November 9, 2011

It's Not Over Yet


After the class with Tina’s group, I decided to go back and read the article called, “College Grad: ‘I wish I’d Gone To Prison Instead.’ ” I went back because I became interested on the topic. When I read the article all of the statistics were shocking and scary. The worst part is that the article was from 2009, so the statistics can even be higher.
                It is really scary to think that you can get handed a diploma and a stack of bills at the same time. I realized I am glad that I commute, because I am saving a lot of money. If I had lived in the dorms, it would be another ten thousand per year I would have to pay back. All together I would have to pay about forty thousand after I graduate and the forty thousand doesn’t include tuition.
                This all together made me realize I made a good decision by staying home. Owing another forty thousand would mean that I got my degree and jobs of my dreams to pay off my college debt. So, this means I would be paying off my debt before even starting my life. It’s impossible to graduate from college then manage to live in your own apartment and pay off the loans.
                Another smart decision I have made is not owning a credit card. My parent wanted me to, but I was afraid from being in debt later on. I am happy I made the decision, because the article convinced me to never get a credit card. The smarter thing is to save up money in the bank, then use a debit card for emergencies only. Even though I feel like I have made good decisions to prevent debt so far, I still need to be careful when establishing credit. I have no credit, but, when I do establish it, I will be very careful with my monthly bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment